Contact the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office - Victim Services Unit at 281-341-4650 if you have been a victim or witness to a crime and could benefit from our assistance.
The Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office - Victim Services Unit provides the following services for innocent victims of crime through established advocacy policies and by providing necessary notification:
- Information about Crime Victims’ Compensation and assistance with filing claims
- Aid with such items as loss of earnings, loss of support, counseling, funeral/burial, relocation, medical/dental, crime-related travel, child care, crime scene cleanup and replacement of property seized
- Emotional support for victims and families
- Information and referrals to community organizations who provide long-term counseling, legal assistance, emergency shelters, and other services.
- Information about Crime Victims’ Rights
- Case status information
- Assistance with V.I.N.E (Victim Information & Notification Everyday) Registration
The Victim's Bill of Rights
Know your rights under the law. Victims of crime are entitled to information regarding:
- Local community services
- Compensation to victims of crimes, when applicable
- The victim's role in the legal and judicial systems
Victims also have a right to:
- Adequate Protection from harm and threats
- Prompt and timely disposition of a criminal investigation (provided it does not interfere with the rights of the accused)
- Prompt return of property (if there is no compelling need to retain the property as evidence)
- Request the judge to consider the safety of victim and their family when setting the bail amount for the accused
- Have a victim advocate attend depositions
- Receive notification of the escape, transfer or release of the offender
- Aid with information such as case status
In addition, the victims of a crime and the state attorney, with the consent of the victim, have standing to assert the rights of a crime victim as provided by law.
The Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office Victim Handbook includes information on these rights and other helpful information. Contact Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office - Victim Service Unit at 281-341-4650 to request a copy.
Emergencies: Dial, 911