Thinking About Opening a New Business?
Basic Steps to Starting a Business
- File an Assumed Name or Doing Business As (DBA) Certificate with the County Clerk in the county(s) in which the business is located and/or will conduct business.
- Corporations and Incorporation documents are filed with the Secretary of State in Austin at (512) 463-5555. Upon filing in Austin, the D.B.A. is then filed in the county(s).
- To obtain a State Sales Tax ID #, contact the State Comptroller at 7011 Harwin, Suite 186, Houston, Texas 77036 at (713) 783-1665.
- To order a Business Tax Kit and other publications, call (800) 829-3676.
- A Federal Tax ID # is available through the IRS at (800) 829-1040.
- For an Employer's ID #, contact the Texas Employment Commission at (512) 463-2731.
- Worker's Compensation Information--contact Texas Worker's Compensation & Texas Dept. of Insurance at (512) 322-3490.
- For Safety Regulations, contact OSHA at (512) 482-5576.
- Patents or Copyrights
- Commissioner of Patents and Trademarks
Washington, DC 20231
- Copy-Right Office, LM455
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20559
- Call Houston Business Solutions Center in Houston at (832) 393-0954 or visit the website at http://www.houstontx.gov/obo/solutionscenter/.
- If the business is operated in a home, review the deed restrictions and contact the homeowners association.
- If the Business is located in a city or its jurisdiction, contact the city for possible permit requirements.
- Contact the County Health Department for a business involved in food preparation at (281) 342-6414.
For more information on starting a new business in Texas, please visit https://texaswideopenforbusiness.com/start-business where you'll find a link to download the Small Business Handbook.